My Bassakward Group

My Bassakward Group

Monday, December 15, 2008

Jamie's 17th Birthday

We had Jamie's 17th birthday party Friday night. I cannot believe she is that old - this time next year I will be getting ready for her to graduate. For those of you who don't know our story - here is the Readers Digest condensed version. I met her dad on January 2, 1997, at a mutual friend's apartment. I was working 3rd shift at the local ER and just wanted to go get something to eat before I went to work. Well everybody started backing out. I was irritated and said, "Look, I am going to get something to eat, if anybody wants to go come on!" Well the only person that showed up was Stephen, my hubby. I have often told people that I fell in love with Jamie before I fell in love with Stephen - and that is the honest truth. We got married in August of that year. I became a wife, a parent and preacher's wife all in a matter of 8 months! I would not change anything! Jamie is my daughter that I always wanted. I was told many times that I would not have children, and so I was okay with that. God blessed me with this beautiful daughter. I have watched her grow up into a beautiful young lady that has a heart of gold. Jamie had finished her last round of chemotherapy right before Stephen and I met. She had lost all of her hair, but she had not lost that gorgeous smile! I remember she would take my afghan and wrap around her head and tie it back with a ponytail holder. This was her hair. I remember Stephen sitting on the side of the bed sewing up her Barbie gown with matching pink thread - I was impressed! I remember the first night I met her at McDonald's in Troy. She was wearing a 101 Dalmations sweatsuit. Becky and I had gone to WalMart to buy her some 101 Dalmations coloring books and wrapped it in matching paper. I remember we were playing in the ball pit and I got out to get one. When I bent over she kicked me square in the rear end. I remember the first day of Kindergarden at W.O. Parmer - or as Jamie said, "W.O. Farmer." She wore this outifit that was pink, white and mint green check with little ducks on it. She walked down the sidewalk with her lunchbox, turned around, waved and said, "You can go Momma." Then there was the time she had gotten in trouble at school for trading penicls - oh my isn't that the cardinal sin" anyway the principal asked her where her mom worked because she was going to "call her and tell her what you have done." Jamie said, "The Princess House." The principal got real mad. The funny thing is I was selling Princess House crystal at the time. I remember the first time she let me fix a "boo boo". That had always been Daddy's job. We have had so many "I remembers" and I hope there are many more to come. Jamie if you read this I hope you know how much I love you! You are my sweet angel!




Jamie, Austin & Katie with her presents and cake! Katie & Jamie Thanks Aubie & Poppa Jamie's Birthday Cake - homemade red velvet - it fell over in the car - thanks aubie! Jamie & Jacob with Foxxy

1 comment:

becky said...

how is it possible that i don't remember that?? i mean, i have no memory to speak of in general. and i didn't remember that she was just finishing chemo. for some odd reason i thought she had been done for about a year. and i don't remembering her not having hair. is it possible that i have been snorting something all these years and not known it?