My Bassakward Group

My Bassakward Group

Sunday, October 05, 2008

Being a Balcony Person

i have been guilty in the past of using my blog as a place to vent about family issues, work issues or anything else that ticked me off. well i am heading in a new direction. i am going to try to use this as an inspirational avenue for those people who might need to be lifted up. all of this comes on the heels of a presentation i did over the weekend at a ceu opportunity. the name of the presentation was "balcony people". i really was shocked that as i did this presentation i was really realizing that i was a basement person instead of a balcony person. so, let me define the difference....

a balcony person is a person who believes in you, who pulls you up when you are down, someone who comes and cleans your house just because you are stressed beyond words, someone who may not agree with your ideas but will support you.

a basement person is someone who would gripe about being hung with a new rope. they never have anything nice to say, it is always woe is me, it is all about me, never satisfied with anything, just miserable birds.

as i did this presentation i began to feel that i had become a basement person. i cannot be a basement person and be a christian, a good social worker, a parent or a wife. so this presentation was as much for me as it was for the audience.

i am not saying that i will never have another basement momment, but i am going to try to keep them to a minimum. if any of you start to see my being a basement person, please call me on it.

i am also going to borrow an idea from my friend, becky, and try to do a thankful thursday post. i think i will be more of a balcony person if i think about and acknowledge what i have to be thankful for.

ps let's not be like the man in the Bible who sat in the window, fell asleep and fell out the window.....

i hope everyone has a great week!

1 comment:

Dana said...

I like the basement/balcony analogy. I like to think I'm a balcony person but I do have my basement moments as well! But I have to say, if I don't get some sleep, I very well might be the person falling out the window.

Great post!