My Bassakward Group

My Bassakward Group

Monday, September 22, 2008

Just Being Lazy & Catching Up on Thoughts

Well, I have been at my new job for a month! I am really enjoying it - especially since it is 15 minutes from my home. Even when I have to take the kids to school it is still just 30 minutes from home to school to work. It is really cool in the fact that it is a small building and it has a family feel to it. I actually get to sit with my residents and talk about whatever they want to talk about. They tell me stories that are amazing. One man had been in the bed for three days so I was asked to go and see what was going on with him. He told me he would be 95 years old in a couple of weeks, and he was ready to go see his wife. She had died several years ago. He was really missing her - it was also their anniversary. We talked a little longer and he began to perk up. He finally told me that there was nothing wrong with him that 1/5 borboun (sp?) would not fix. I thought that was funny coming from a 95 year year old!

Although I liked working on the oncology unit with end of life issues, I really love the nursing home. My motto has always been, "They come here to live not die!" So many people are scared of old people. They are just a wonderful generation of people who have brought more joy to my life than I will ever be able to return. For Halloween, each department head is to pick a resident and together come up with a costume that we can wear together. Then the other residents will judge the costumes to pick a winner. I have chosen this lady who we will only call Shirley. She is a hoot! She carries a fly flap on the back of her wheelchair. When I asked her about it she told me it was to pop sassy social workers on the rear end! Anyway, we are going to wear grey sweatsuits with a huge black P painted in the middle. We are going to blacken our eye and we will be "The Black Eyed Peas." The other idea is for me to dress like a cow and she as the moon, and we would be the cow jumping over the moon! This is what is fun! This is what I hope brings some joy to their lives.

Kids are doing good - I guess. They are in a weird stage right now. Get this...I come home from work yesterday to find my hubby in his underwear and my son running around NAKED! When I asked why neither of them had on clothes, I was told, "There were no women here and we just wanted to be free!" What is it with men and their frank and beans!!!!!!!

It is true, Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

becky said...

well, seth is without underwear for 2 days b/c he is too durn lazy to go the 5 feet from his room to the bathroom and pee. he decides that is too much work and his very much potty trained self keeps peeing in his pants. so he has to earn his drawers back. not to mention the fact that he peed in a dump truck barrell yesterday. (i'm guessing you are thinkin about the vent incident from jacob's younger days...)

Unknown said...

Well, I was thinking that I had left you a comment on here but maybe not... So if this is repetitive, chalk it up to a lousy nights sleep last night :). Thanks for looking in on my blog. I don't think we ever met either. Though I wouldn't say that matters.. I think I know my internet friends better than those I've met in real life anyway.. Modern technology is a strange thing. Anyway, nice to internet meet you :).

I'm from Springville AL Not too far from Lincoln. Are you from Lincoln originally?

BASSakward Tales said...

dana,
yes i am originally from lincoln. i graduated here and went to tsu where i met becky, adam and tony. i then met my now husband. i have friends that live in springville. it is beautiful up there. it is about 35 miles from here.