My Bassakward Group

My Bassakward Group

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Does anyone still keep their word anymore?

Ok, this is NOT a pity party, but a soap box! I have had two experiences today that have infuriated me about people keeping their word. So please read these instances and respond to me. I would like to know if I am just old fashioned, expect too much or live in a different world.

First of all, my daughter, Jamie, told me she would go with me to work on Sunday to help me decorate my door for Halloween. I am the manager on duty on Sunday. There are alot of little things that she could help me do, and get paid for, since I am the only member of management that will be there. So, we had a plan. Last night a girlfriend of hers invited her to go to Six Flags with her today. So being a good mom, or so I thought, I told her she could go. Tickets were free - how much better can you get? So I have been texting her this morning. I talked to her just now and asked what time she would be home. She said she did not know. I asked if her friend's mom could bring hr home and she said yes, BUT...if it is too late she said I could spend the night again! I said what about going to work with me. She said, I will if I can! This really flew all over me! I don't want to be a mean person, and I am not trying to be a friend to my daughter. I am basically tired of being the responsible person. Any feedback?

Second situation. This person will remain anonymous. This person had been volunteering at the nursing home - mostly in my office. So as things came up that needed to be done, I would contact this person. I have a new project that I just found out about. I asked this person yesterday, and I was told, "no...it depresses me to go up there." I am not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but since when do we do only what we want to do? It does not really make me want to turn cartwheels to go into a nursing home and see these people in the conditions they are in, however, it makes me feel a little better about myself and about our world knowing that I may be able to brighten someone's day just by giving a little bit of my time. Am I totally living in another world? Please somebody give me some feedback!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Darn it! I just typed these great, insightful comments & I wasn't signed in & then I accidentally closed the web site! Now, let's see if I can remember what I wrote the first time.

Regarding the "volunteer" - this person may not be cut out for the NH life. If he/she can not see that his/her spending time with someone may make a huge difference in the life of a resident then he/she may not need to "volunteer" there at all. It takes special people to work in the NH & you know that. You are very special & you are awesome at what you do! You should hold everyone accountable for at least bringing a smile to their residents every day. That is the very least they can do. What makes this person so special that they can't do that?

Secondly, I can really tell you what to do about Jamie but I can tell you that right now, spending time with mom, no matter how much fun I think you are, is not high on her priority list. Right now, she is having fun with her friend & not thinking of the promise she made to you, regardless of how much, dare I say it, fun it might be. Should she keep her promise? Sure she should. Will she? I don't know. She probably doesn't realize that our word is our bond. She probably doesn't realize that is is terribly disappointing to you when she breaks a promise. We all disappoint the ones we love (I'm speaking from experience here) although some times it is unintentional. She may not realize how important it is to you that she spend this time with you. You know full well how teenagers are. They have on track minds & are not always the most thoughtful of God's creatures. I know I wasn't.

So, to answer your questions. No, I do not think you are asking or expecting too much from these 2 individuals BUT you also have to realize that not everyone cares about such things as you & I do. But with these 2 individuals, there is something you can do about it so I suggest you do it. Talk with both of them, have that "come to Jesus" meeting so they know what is expected, and how disappointed you are, and then watch and wait. One you can get rid of if it comes to that but the other you just have to love & hope that she grows up quickly! :-)

I love you & think you're awesome!