My Bassakward Group

My Bassakward Group

Monday, November 13, 2006

My first day....

Well, I have survived my first day as Director of Social Services. Doesn't that title sound important? Oh my goodness!!!! It has been three years since I have been in the nursing home, and boy does it feel good to be back. These residents are just "proud to be here." They are not worried about what clothes the other one has on. They don't care that the food on their plate is not color balanced. They are just happy to have a warm bed to sleep in, hot food on their plates and some amount of independence. I have been accustomed to working in the more "glamourous nursing homes"...is that an oxy moron? Anyway, I don't know that I will ever go back to that side. There are young and old in this facility. There are all sorts of socio economic levels. This is what social work is all about. Meeting a person where they are in life and traveling the rest of the way with them. I have alot of cleaning up to do in the office and just in record keeping in general. But it is going to be a joy to get there. The great thing about my job is it gives me a reality check...everyday!

No comments: